The Fall Program for Freshmen (FPF) offers a small, collaborative learning community for first-year students in the College of Letters & Science at Berkeley. Here are some key benefits of joining FPF:
- Strong community of peers, advisors, and instructors
- Smaller class sizes, allowing for high-impact learning in FPF's selected classes
- Tailored first-year curriculum
- Introduction to Berkeley's mission of teaching, research, and public service
- Support from FPF Ambassadors (student mentors)
- Access to all the benefits of Berkeley while being part of FPF for an additional program fee
Starting your Berkeley career in FPF is like being in a small liberal arts college for your first semester. The FPF curriculum prepares our students for success and includes courses they need, such as major prerequisites, Reading and Composition courses, L&S Breadth Requirements, and electives.
FPF alumni have higher graduation rates than their non-FPF peers.
98.2% of FPF students met 1-on-1 with an advisor in 2018.
100% of FPF instructors lead their own discussion sections.
Get to Know Us
The Fall Program for Freshmen Speaker Series highlights activities and research that cultivate skills for community engagement and promoting social justice. Each session features two FPF instructors who share work derived from interdisciplinary or collaborative projects. This session will feature:
- "Teaching Octavia Butler in a Course on Colonialism and Science Fiction" presented by Dr. Aparajita Nanda (instructor for XGWS 50AC and XENGLIS R1B)
- "From the Classroom to the Community, and Back Again: Reflections on American Cultures Engaged Scholarship" presented by Dr. Seth Lunine (instructor for XGEOG 50AC)
This event is free and open to the public.
November 13, 2019
3:30-4:30pm in Academic Hall, Room 102
The FPF Advising Office is closed to the public during spring and summer. For in-person visits, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least one business day in advance. Please note that May 30 through July 18 is a very busy advising season for 1-1 appointments with FPF students. Check out the Contact Us page!
New Student Receptions
Every April, the Cal Alumni Association and the UC Berkeley Office of Undergraduate Admissions host receptions throughout California for newly admitted students. FPF Staff and Ambassadors will be present at most of the California receptions and at some of the out-of-state receptions. UC Berkeley representatives will also answer FPF-related questions. Check out the full list of upcoming events!
Berkeley Campus Tours
Berkeley Visitor Services gives free 90-minute campus tours every day. Stroll around campus with trained student guides who know the ins and outs of campus and student life.